Dr. Yoon, a Professor in the Department of Math/Computer Science, is the Director of Center for Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense, at Mercy College School of Liberal Arts. The Center is designated by National Security Agency (NSA)/Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Prior to Mercy, he taught in the Center of Advanced Computer Studies at University of Louisiana, Lafayette, LA, and Sookmyung W. University in Seoul, Korea.
He teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses, including but not limited to Mobile Technologies and Wireless Sensor Data Services (IASP555), Distributed Database Security (IASP525), Computer Forensics (IASP430 & IASP530), Linux (IASP220), Wireless Networks and Security (IASP560), Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (IASP520), Smartphone Apps Development (CISC395), Secure and Intelligent Programming (IASP455), and Website Administration (CISC359). He has also advised undergraduate and graduate students in Cybersecurity.
Dr. Yoon earned his Ph.D. in Information Technology at George Mason University, M.S. in Electrical Engineering at University of Florida, and B.S. in Electrical Engineering at Yonsei University.
Areas of Research Interest
|Internet of Things
||Handling IoT Attacks
|Defensive & Offensive IoT Devices
|Security in Mobile Edge Computing
||Security and Privacy Management
|Secure UI Development
|Secure Transmission of JSON Blocks
|Secure Data Services over Mobile Technologies
||Wireless Sensor Networs
|Secure IoT Services
|Data Mining from WSN
|Efficient Data Transmission in WSN
||AC in Databases
|AC in Cloud Computing
|AC in For and Mobile Edge Computing
||Audit & Compliance
- John Yoon, Deep-Learning Approach to Attack Handling of IoT Devices using IoT-Enabled Network Services, accepted on May 29, 2020 for publication in Journal “Internet of Things,” by Elsevier on July, 2020, available on ScienceDirect.com.
- Yang Kim, Ohbong Kwon, John Yoon, Proportional Voting based Semi-Unsupervised Machine Learning Intrusion Detection System, accepted on June 9, 2020 for publication in Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology, American Research Institute for Policy Development.
- John Yoon, Chaining JSON Blocks for Secure Transmission of Mobile Data Sequences, in Proc. of the 18th International Conference on Security and Management, Las Vegas, August, 2019.
- John Yoon, Using a Deep-Learning Approach for Smart IoT Network Packet Analysis, in Proc. of the Workshop on Machine Learning for Cyber-Crime Investigation and Cybersecurity (MaL2CSec), Stockholm, Sweden, June, 2019.
- John Yoon, Trustworthiness of dynamic moving sensors for secure mobile edge computing, Computers, vol 7, issue 4, December (2018), or available in mdpi.
- John Yoon and Michael DeBiase, Real-Time Analysis of Big Network Packet Streams by Learning the Likelihood of Trusted and Untrusted Sequences, Int’l Congress on Big Data, Seattle, 2018., or also available in springer.
- John Yoon, ANN-based Collaborative Sensor Calibration and GA-approach to Sensor Mutation Management, the 5th Int'l Conf. on Smart Computing and Artificial Intelligence in the 6th Int’l Congress on Advanced Applied Informatics, 2017.
- John Yoon, Leveraging Sensor Data Content to Assure Sensor Device Trustworthiness in Mobile Edge Computing, the 2nd IEEE Int’l Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC2017), Valencia, Spain, 2017.
- Jong P. Yoon and Juan Ortiz, Data Mining Approach to Situation-aware Sensor Actuation in Wireless Sensor Networks, the Fourth Int’l Conf. on Future Generation Communication Technologies, Luton, UK, 2015.
- Jong P. Yoon, Christopher M. Frenz, Zhixiong Chen, David Wang, Privacy-Preserving Mobile Accesses for Virtual Private Social Media, IEEE Proceedings of Congress on Services, 2012.
- Christopher M. Frenz and Jong P. Yoon, XSSmon: A Perl Based IDS for the Detection of Potential XSS Attacks, in IEEE Long Island Systems, Applications and Technology Conference, May 4, 2012.
- Jong P. Yoon, Location- and Time-based Trustworthy Correlation of Users, Sites and Resources, in 2nd Int’l Conf. on Pervasive and Embedded Computing and Communication Systems, Rome, Italy, 2012.
- Jong P. Yoon, Location- and Time-Dependent VPD for Privacy-Preserving Wireless Accesses to Cloud Services, in International Journal on Cloud Computing: Services and Architecture, vol.1, no.3, 2011.
- Jong P. Yoon, SePAL: State-Dependent Management for Secure and Private Access of Wireless Devices to Cloud Databases, vol.2, International Journal of Information System Security, 2011.
Jong P. Yoon, Chapter 6 “Access Control and Trustiness for Resource Management in Cloud Databases” in the Book entitled “Grid and Cloud Database Management,” edited by G. Aloisio and S. Fiore, published in Summer, 2011.
Jong P. Yoon and Z. Chen, Service Trustiness and Resource Legitimacy in Cloud, In the proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud and Internet Computing, Fukuoka, Japan, 2010.
- Zhixiong Chen and John Yoon, IT Auditing to Assure a Secure Cloud Computing, In the proceedings of The 6th IEEE World Congress on Services, July 5-10, 2010, Miami, Florida.
Jong P. Yoon and Z. Chen, Using Privilege Chain for Access Control and Trustiness of Resources in Cloud Computing, In the Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Networked Digital Technologies, 2010.
Jong P. Yoon and Z. Chen, Localization and Detection of Vector Logo Image Plagiarism, In the Proceedings of the 1st Int’l Conference on Digital Forensics and Cyber Crime, 2009, also appeared in the Book entitled “Digital Forensics and Cyber Crime”, Springer, 2010.
- Jong P. Yoon, Presto Authorization: A Bitmap Indexing Scheme for High-speed Access Control to XML Documents, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2006. (http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/TKDE.2006.113)
- A. Ravichandran, J. Yoon, Trust Management with Delegation in Grouped Peer-to-Peer Communities, 11th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, June 7-9, 2006.
- Abhilash Gummadi, Jong P. Yoon, Modeling Group Trust for Peer-to-Peer Access Control, The First Int'l Workshop on P2P Data Management, Security and Trust, 2004. (http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/DEXA.2004.1333604)
- Abhilash Gummadi, Jong P. Yoon, Biren Shah, Vijay Raghavan, A Bitmap-based Access Control for Restricted Views of XML Documents, ACM Workshop on XML Security, October, 2003. (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=968569)
- Jong P. Yoon, Bitmap-based High-speed Access Control for XML Documents, in the Seventeenth Annual IFIP 11.3 Working Conference on Database and Applications Security, Colorado, August 4-6, 2003; “High-speed Access Control for XML: a Bitmap-based Approach” also appears in a Chapter book Data and Applications Security XVII: Status and Prospects edited by S. di Vimercati, I. Ray, in 2004.
- Jong P. Yoon, Three-Tiered Data Mining for Bit Data Patterns of Wireless Sensor Networks in Medical and Healthcare Domains, The 8th Int’l Conf. on Internet and Web Applications and Services, 2013.
Jong P. Yoon and Joyce Yoon, “Interoperating DNA Gene Sequences and Nutrition Provisions for Personalized Wellness,” in Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, entitled “Bio-Inspired Models of Network, Information, and Computing Systems, v. 87, 2012. Earlier version appeared in 1st Workshop on Bio-inspired Models and Technologies for Ambient Information Society, Boston, Dec., 2010. bioambis2010
- Zhixiong Chen, John Yoon, Christopher Frenz, Kenneth Compres, IT Governance, Compliance and Auditing Curriculum – A Pedagogical Perspective, Workshop on IT Governance, Risk and Compliance, in conjunction with IEEE World Congress on Services, July 5-10, 2011, Washington D.C.
- Byungwoo Kim, Jong P. Yoon, Similarity Measurement for Aggregation of Spatial Objects, 20th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Multimedia and Visualization Track, 2005.
- Biren Shah, Abhilash Gummadi, Jong P. Yoon, Vijay Raghavan, Efficient Dynamic Indexing Retrieval of XML Documents using Three-Dimensional Quasi-BitCube, WWW 2004 Workshop on High Performance XML Processing, New York, 2004.
- J. Yoon, L. Kerschberg, A Functional Approach to XML-based Dynamic Negotiation in e-Business, in a Chapter of the book entitled ``Functional Approach to Computing with Data,'' edited by P. Gray and et. al., Physica-Verlag Springer-Verlag, 2003.
- Byungwoo Kim, Jong P. Yoon, XML Metadata Generation for Vector Images, 2003 International Conference on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology (CISST'03), Las Vegas, Nevada, June 23-26, 2003.
- Byungwoo Kim, Jong P. Yoon, XML Metadata Generation for Vector Images, WWW 2003 Conference, 2003.
- J. Yoon, L. Kerschberg, A Query-Driven Interesting Rule Discovery Using Association and Spanning Operations, in a Chapter of the book entitled ``Granular Computing and Data Mining,'' edited by Lin, T.Y., Yao Y. and Zadeh, L., Data Mining, Rough Sets and Granular Computing, Physica-Verlag Springer-Verlag, 2002.
- J. Yoon, S. Kim, Schema Extraction for XML Document Retrieval, in Journal of Applied Systems Studies, Vol. 3, No. 2, Cambridge International Science Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
- J. Yoon, S. Kim, G. Kim, V. Chakilam, Bitmap-based Indexing for Multi-Dimensional XML Multimedia Documents, 5th Int'l Conf. on Asian Digital Libraries, Singapore, December, 2002.
- Byungwoo Kim, Venu Chakilam, Jong P. Yoon, Spatial Relationship Modeling and Indexing for XML Multimedia Data Retrieval, 3rd Intl ACM SIGMM 2001 Workshop on Multimedia Information Retrieval, Ottawa, Canada, October 5, 2001.
- Jong Yoon, Vijay Raghavan, Venu Chakilam, and Larry Kerschberg, BitCube: A Three-Dimensional Bitmap Indexing for XML Documents, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, pages 241-254, Vol. 17, November 2001. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/p15577uug11717mv/)
- J. Yoon, Y. Luo and J. Nam, A Bitmap Approach to Trend Clustering and Prediction in Time-Series Databases, appear in Proc. of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery: Theory, Tools, and Technology II, Florida, April 2001.
- J. Yoon and S. Kim, Schema Extraction for Multimedia XML Document Retrieval, in Proc. of the First Int’l Conf. on Web Information Systems Engineering, 2000. (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=882867)
- J. Yoon, J. Lee, and S. Kim, Trend Similarity and Prediction in Time-Series Data, in Proc. of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery: Theory, Tools, and Technology II, Florida, SPIE Vol 4057, pp. 201-212, 2000. (http://spiedigitallibrary.org/proceedings/resource/2/psisdg/4057/1/201_1?isAuthorized=no)
- J. Yoon, and L. Kerschberg, Query-Initiated Discovery of Interesting Association Rules, First International Conference on Discovery Science, Fukuoka, Japan, Dec, 1998.
- J. Yoon, and S. Kim, A Three-Level User Interface to Multimedia Digital Libraries with Relaxation and Restriction, IEEE Conf. on Advanced Digital Libraries, Santa Barbara, pp206-215, 1998.
- J. Yoon, and S. Kim, A Multimedia Document Retrieval Technique in Digital Libraries, Proc. of Int'l Symposium on Research, Development and Practice in Digital Libraries, pp. 92-98, Tsukuba, 1997.
- J. Yoon, and S. Kim, Multimedia Query Processing for Digital Libraries, Proc. of the Int'l Conf. on Digital Libraries and Information Services for the 21st Century, 1996.
- J. Yoon, Extracting Database Knowledge from Query Trees, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Information Science, Vol.1, No.2, pp.145-156, 1996.
- L. Kerschberg, and et. al., Data and Information Architectures for Large-Scale Distributed Data Intensive Information Systems, Proc. of the 8th Int'l Conf. on Scientific and Statistical Database Management, 1996.
- J. Yoon, Using Constraints for Distributed Query Processing, Proc. of 19th IEEE Conference on Computer Software and Applications, 1995.
- J. Yoon, and L. Kerschberg, Semantic Update Optimization in Active Databases, Proc. of 6th IFIP TC-2 Conference on Data Semantics (DS-6), 1995.
- J. Yoon, and L. Kerschberg, Semantic Query Optimization in Deductive Object-Oriented Databases, Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science on Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, pp. 169-182, 1993.
- J. Yoon, and L. Kerschberg, Semantic Query Reformulation in Object-Oriented Databases, Proc. of Workshop on Combining Declarative and Object-Oriented Databases, pp. 73-85, 1993.
- J. Yoon, Database Updates Using Active Rules: A Unified Approach for Consistency Maintenance, Proc. of Third International Symposium on Database Systems for Advanced Applications, pp. 272-278, 1993.
- Kerschberg, L., Baum, R., Waisanen, A., Yoon, J., Huang, I., "A Taxonomy of Knowledge-Based Approaches to Fault Management for Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, 1993.
- J. Yoon, and L. Kerschberg, A Framework for Knowledge Discovery and Evolution in Databases, IEEE Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering, vol 5, pp. 973-978, 1993. (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=250080)
|Office || Maher Hall 114 |
|Phone || 914-674-7461 |
|Office Hours ||
- Mondays & Thursdays 5pm - 6pm
- or by Appointment
jyoon at mercy dot edu|